Knowing about releases helps you
- Take advantage of new features
- Be aware of bug fixes
- Think about how new features will affect existing customizations
- Test updates in sandboxes before moving to production
Logistics and Timing
- NPSP updates are pushed to Production automatically every two weeks.
- Updates are pushed to Sandboxes one week prior to push to production
- Admin must enable any bug fixes or new features to give you a chance to test before deployment
Where Can I Find NPSP Release Information?
- Power of Us Hub
- NPSP Release Announcements: Broadcast only. Details on Exact timings and issues addressed
- Nonprofit Success Pack. General NPSP Discussion
- GitHub Cumulus Releases Page
- Source code level detailed notes and information about releases, new features and bug fixes
Components of a Release
- Critical Changes
- Issues Closed
- Additional Installation Instructions
- Push Schedule
- Latest Release URL
- Trialforce Template ID for Partners using the Environment Hub.
Trialforce Templates is a tool for quick access to multiple Salesforce orgs from a central location
How Can I Manually Apply an Update?
Manually install the latest release from the GitHub Cumulus Release Page
Steps To Take With a New Release
- Review the release notes
- Test new features in a sandbox
- Get key users input on how the organization can use new features
- Check for conflicts between new features and current customizations
- Check if new features affect the security model
- Have a communication plan for staff to learn about new features
- Review new custom fields, objects and code release notes in GitHub
- Update new fields visibility. New fields by default are not visible to anyone, including Sys Admins
- Update page layouts to display new fields as appropriate
- Review custom profiles for access to new Apex classes and Visualforce pages ( npsp_ prefix )
What if a Release Fix or Feature Replicates Customizations in My Org?
- Best Practice: Disable customizations and us NPSP fix or feature
- Review the new feature
- Does the new feature exactly replicate the customization, or are there important differences?
- Will data need to be migrated to new custom fields or objects?
Salesforce Seasonal Releases
- Three releases per year ( Winter, Spring, Summer )
- Salesforce Seasonal Release Blog has release notes, Trailhead modules, preview videos
Salesforce Critical Updates
- Critical updates are bug fixes, usability and performance improvements.
- Critical updates Alerts are shown when accessing the Setup menu
- Have an opt-in period to give time to test before auto-activation date
- Salesforce analyzes your org and will automatically activate the Critical update if there are not potential customization conflicts
Salesforce Trust Issues
- trust.salesforce.com gives real-time system performance and security
Salesforce Known Issues
- Know issues are can be seen on the Salesforce Success Community Known Issues Page